Defensive Behaviour.. building fieldworks with Warfare Miniatures accessories. Part 3

Many Warfare components are visible in this shot
The project used Warfare Miniatures pieces from codes WLOA918 through to WLOA947  which includes; fascines, gun screens, gabions (medium, large and under construction), artillery maintenance equipment, furniture, barrels, cauldrons and containers, digging tools and various wagon and gun pieces. In addition the modelling materials include Milliput, tile gout, coarse and fine sand, super glue, Bostik, PVA glue, matchsticks, coffee stirring sticks, dinner matts, emulsion and acrylic paint, gloss and matt varnish and flock.
The tools I used were very limited: sanding block and coarse sand paper, two different pallet knives, some old brushes, oh yes and my brain!

A single section including parts from 4 code packs
A bloke I know once said to me ‘terrain construction is all about drying times’. That is so true. Much of the work is not particularly onerous but if you leave it too late to get certain things started or the sequence is wrong you can run into all sorts of problems. I knew this project would require short bursts of building and setting followed by 24 hour periods of nothing happening as the work dried out. Fine if you find yourself living and working from home base but for me, this is by far the biggest challenge. I have a nomadic lifestyle being home less than 50% of my life most of each year and this in odd chunks of days. Had I left it too late? That was my biggest worry.

Dressing the pieces with wrecked guns and burning wagons.
My chosen dinner mats for this project Mrs H had grown tired of. I knew that as I found them in a stack at the front door which is the intermediate step between household treasure status and scrap heap. Each item is offered to Barry as a pre-dump staging post. Roughly 30cm in length and 20cm wide they offered ample space for creativity.

marking the mats with distances helps alignment on multi mat assemblies
My first piece was to feature the gun screens (WLOA919) as a centrepiece. I firstly took a cork sanding block, wrapped it in heavy duty sandpaper and chamfered the edges of the mat all the way round. This meant it would blend well with the table when placed on top and would not have an unsightly lip. I marked off the halfway point in the length and then found the centre point of the entire piece. I measured 3cm in from the long edge. This would be the nearest point to the edge of the mat to which the defensive line would extend. I then measured a further 3cm towards the centre point of the mat and drew a line here. The gun emplacement would arc out from the main defensive line. The latter would run parallel to the long edge 6cm in. 

I glued three gun screens to the cork covered base of the mat as shown. Having let this dry I then began to build up the shape of the defences using fascine racks and gabions as shown. Being metal and unyielding I was clear that gaps exist. The obvious ones were plugged up with fascine bundles both large and small from WLOA920. Having filled the length of the mat by gluing various pieces of defences to it I let it dry for a few hours.

close up of undercoated pieces with Milliput holding fascines in place
I now used Milliput and tile grout to seal the defences as seen. Worth pointing out that I was undercoating most of the metal components before gluing to the base board. Although tedious I knew from experience crevasses and curves would leave lots of exposed metal if I was trying to undercoat in situ.  

tile grout was used to seal the section and begin the groundwork

Front view - lots to be done but taking shape!

In part 4 I'll continue with the assembly process step by step to allow those interesting in trying their hand to have a go. It is pretty straightforward!